Tuesday, June 7, 2022

I'm starting this blog so I can participate in Chookyblue's Churn Dash Sew-a-long. I love reading Quitter's blogs and now I'm part of the community!
 Before we get to a few pics of quilts, I would like to share a few things I've learned since the stem cell transplant:
Use your new fabric. Use it while you still love it. I used to buy fabric and then save it for that great project that never happened. New fabrics now go into current projects and I love using them. I loved them enough to buy them and it makes me happy to see them being used.

Life is too short for dull rotary cutter blades. Ten packs of blades are relatively inexpensive on Amazon, far cheaper than buying them individually at your LQS.

Ok, so here a few quilts that happen to be on my phone, the rest I don't have pictures of at the moment but I will. I promise to share. For future reference, I will put picture descriptions under the pic.

This was made just because. I saw it online somewhere and loved it. I cut the strips wider (2 1/2") and made more blocks for a bigger quilt than the one I saw. Made with fabric from stash and some new fabrics purchased just for this projectšŸ˜€. Probably started in the dead of winter when I wanted to make something with my brightest and most cheerful fabrics. Cotton batting. Finished in 2021.
This 36 patch was made as a graduation present for my cousin. Made with mostly stash fabric and a few new purchases just for this. The 36 patch block is relatively simple and quick to make. For those of you who like technical details, the blocks were made with 2 1/2" strips which made a 12" finished block. Cotton batting, machine quilted on my longarm.

Both of these quilts were made with fabrics fron my "other stash", my main stash is mostly so called "Civil War" fabrics, 19th century reproductions and shirtings, I call them creamies.

I guess this is it for my first blog post ever! I hope you enjoyed it. I expect I'll get better at writing as I go along.

25 comments:

  1. so please you are nbow going to be a quilting blogger...........its the best little spot on the net...........hope over to some of the other blog girls and check out their blogs......leave some comments you will build your own little network in blogland..............
    welcome to the churn dash SAL........its going to be so much fun........there are 40 of us now.......who knew so many loved churn dash blocks...
    lovely quilts that you have shared in this post......can't to see what else you are making.......for a first post as yourself you have done very well.............
    Oh and I am using now starting to use my special fabrics....I don't care now what I make with them so long as I make something it will still be special as all my quilts are..............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chooky for letting me join. I was quite overwhelmed today to find 14 comments to my post. I'm very happy to be part of the quilter's blog community. I first discovered them in 2016 and 2017 during recovery when I didn't have the energy to sew.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Chopin, sorry, I deleted your comment by mistake. I'm practically computer illiterate.

      Delete
  3. Joan, so happy you are joining the sew-along! Sounds like our stashes are similar--my heart is with the "dark & dirty" 1900s fabrics, but I also have a small stash of bright batiks and a few other fun fabrics, like bright 30s fabrics--and a lot of thrift store plaid shirts I have cut up and used in quilts.
    I love the two creations you have shared here, and look forward to seeing more of what you create!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have to add, I was near your neck of the woods last year. Took a trip to Maine to see some family history sites of my Crockett ancestors in Vinalhaven, and around the vicinity of Rockport. We also took a quick jaunt up to Mount Battie in the Camden Hills State Park. A beautiful area!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember when you were here. I saw it on Wendy's blog. Camden is just down the road from us. So close yet so far.

      Delete
  5. Welcome back Joan - welcome back to blogging - and sewing and of course Choolyblue's SAL . Enjoy - you will find a lot of mad people thru this blog - all mad in the right way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well yes, it's total madness to cut up perfectly good fabric just so we can sew it back together again, but what a sweet madness it is.

      Delete
  6. Your quilts are beautiful. Look forward to seeing your Churn Dash. Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome back to blogging. Your quilts are beautiful, I'm looking forward to seeing your Churndash blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your quilts, great colours. Have fun with your Churndashes and great advice for quilters. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. your quilts look lovely I agree about using the new fabric but sometimes its too pretty

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good to see another keen quilter. Your quilts are beautiful. Enjoy the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your quilts are beautiful! They make me smile when I look at them. Welcome to the churn dash SAL, happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gretchen. I've been following your blog for a while. So pleased to meet you if only virtually.

      Delete
  12. Lovely quilts .... my kind of quilts .... scrappy! Glad that you are joining in the fun of making churn dash blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Welcome to blogland! You landed in a good spot with Chooky. She wouldn't let me say no to the churn dash so here I go.
    Your quilt photos are lovely. I have been thinking of doing one like the 36 patch and DID do the granny square last winter.
    It's true what you say about using the good stuff. I collected and saved many gingham checks for 'that special' quilt and finally cut into it for my granny square quilt. If it was special enough to buy it, it's special enough to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. welcome joan to chooky's excellent bloggers and churn dash sew along! i am grace in maryland usa, a transplanted new englander. so happy to have you sew along with us, a marvelous motley crew!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you, Grace. I've been perusing your blog for awhile, since the SCT when I first discovered quilters blogs. I'm so happy to make your acquaintance.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Grace, I've been perusing your blog for awhile now. I discovered quilters blogs while recovering from the SCT and didn't have the energy to do anything else. I'm so happy to make your acquaintance!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely quilts Joan, I look forward to seeing some more.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice to meet you and see your pretty quilts. Looking forward to seeing your Churn Dash blocks when you're ready.
    *hugs*
    Tazzie
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Welcome back to blogland Joan, lots of us doing Chooky's churn dash quilt, I've made a start. love your quilts.

    ReplyDelete